pul·lus   [puhl-uhs]
–noun, plural pul·li  [puhl-ahy]
a young bird; a chick.
Origin:
1765–75; < NL, L: from pullulāre to sprout

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Interlude No. 1: Cleaning or Dreaming?

This is the first indication I have seen of any of the chicks practicing taking a dust bath, though this Buff Orpington chick seemed more intent on making a nest to sleep in, as she slept in the "hole" she dug for herself for a while after I stopped recording this video, despite all the traffic around her.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like we have a very similar selection of chicks, close in age. What breed is that white one with the black on her back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Sorry for the long delay in responding. The white chicken with the black on her back is an Exchequer Leghorn. She was one of the "extras" I received when I ordered the chicks. Though I didn't choose her, I have to say she's become my favorite of the chicks. Full of character and the first of the chicks to start laying. I'd highly recommend Leghorns based on my experience with her.

    ReplyDelete